Course information for this semester
A complete list of courses offered in Summer Semester 2020 can be found on ViaCampus.
All language courses begin in the week starting Monday, 20.04.2020
Information Presentations - Introduction to the language programme
Tues., 07.04.2020 10:45 – 12:15 in GD Lecture Hall 2
Tues., 07.04.2020 10:45 – 12:15 for Erasmus students in GD Lecture Hall 3 (in German, English, and Spanish)
Individual advice to students in the first week of students at the following times
Tues., 14.04.2020, 12:00-14:00 and
Wed., 15.04.2020, 13:00-15:00
... in the language departments (“Lektorate”), in the August-Bebel Building.
If you want to take part in courses (other than beginners level), you will have to take a placement test.
Wed. 08th - Tues. 14th Apr. 2020. Details of test times here.
A late test for those who have missed the regular course registration will be possible at these times.
Course registration for all courses opens 16.03.2020.
A. Courses run by the Language Centre:
- Registration is online on ViaCampus.
- If your online registration (Language Centre courses) has been successful, you will receive an automated confirmation E-mail. This, however, does NOT mean you have a place yet. Check ViaCampus after the course places have been allocated(see below.) If you have not received a place in the course you wanted, you may choose and book a new one using the “Restplatzvergabe” (allocation of spare places) on ViaCampus.
- Registration is possible until Wed. 15.04.2020, 6pm.
€ 2.50 must be paid to Language Centre course teachers at the start of classes for photocopies.
B. Courses organised by Viadrina Sprachen GmbH:
- Registration starts 16.03.2020.
- Until 1st April: Registration only by sending a form and transferring the course fee. For more details please look here.
- From 1st April onwards: Registration in person at the new offices of the GmbH:
August-Bebel-Straße 12, Room 315 (in the Language Centre building).
- Registration for the courses is only possible on payment of the course fee.
- Registration ends 12 noon on 17.04.2020.
Reimbursement of course fees - NEW from Winter Semester 2019/2020
For the levels Beginners (Grundstufe) 1 and 2 in all languages where fees had to be paid till now and for English at Intermediate Level (Mittelstufe) the following system has been introduced:
Students are to pay the course fee of 180 Euros, as before, to the viadrina sprachen gmbh.
If they then attend at least 75% of the course, the course fee will be reimbursed. This applies regardless of whether the student passes the course or not.
This arrangement is conditional upon the University’s budget being confirmed and will apply from Winter Semester 2019/20 to 2022.
Allocation of places ("Kurszuteilung") in language classes of the Language Centre
(not for courses of the Viadrina Sprachen GmbH): from 10:00 am on Friday 17.04.2020.
After that time, you can see if you have a place by looking on the ViaCampus website under Course Places.
Didn't get a place in the course you want?
Courses of the Language Centre:
Spare places in courses can be taken on the “Restplatzvergabe” (online allocation of spare places)
from 17.04.2020 to 01.05.2020.
Courses of the Viadrina Sprachen GmbH:
From 21.04.2020 to 01.05.2020 you can join any course where places are free by paying in person at their offices.
Cancelling course places
For Language Centre courses:
If you no longer wish to be in the course you should cancel your course place by 01.05.2020 midnight.
IF YOU DO NOT DO SO, THE COURSE WILL BE LISTED ON YOUR LANGUAGE CENTRE TRANSCRIPT AS "COURSE NOT PASSED" and you may be stopping another student getting into the course!
For courses of the viadrina sprachen gmbh:
Courses can be cancelled without charge by going in person to the GmbH office by 17.04.2020, 12 noon.